This week I received my CubieTruck and have been having a few issues getting it up and running. I hope this info helps some one else out there.
I’ve read about it before countless times before, but I haven’t had a phone capable of running it. This morning while drinking my tea I read yet another post about Google Goggles and decided to install it on my HTC Wildfire.
I have only one word to explain it… “AWESOME”.
It reminds me of the handheld gadgets they use in shows like CSI where they take a photo of something (fingerprint, shoe print etc) and then click a button and the phone magically does some recognition and comes back with the info. It’s not perfect… and doesn’t recognise all the logos I had in the office but it does a pretty good job none the less.
And now with Google Images supporting reverse searches (search for an image using an image) it could only get better.
Yesterday I got my new cell phone, a HTC wildfire. I’m loving the phone so far, its not the fastest or fanciest phone but its still pretty awesome.
I’ve managed to setup links to all the “lmportant” social media apps. I’m rather impressed by Android, its a lot better than my old Nokia.
Full review to come soon…
These are my links for March 26th through March 29th:
- Make: Online : Build a ball-bearing roller coaster
I love this, have to try building one of these sometime.
- Literally, A Web Log
- Easy IM-ME flashing – Hack a Day – Details on hacking IM-ME and re-flashing it.
- Open Camera Control – Awesome tool that allows you to control your camera with a Nintendo DS.
- Flash support and Unreal Tournament on Nvidia Tegra 2 – ARMdevices.net – Awesome demo of a Android Tablet running the Unreal engine and a youtube 720p Flash movie.
- MID-560?Android MID?__Mobile internet device__shenzhen state micro technology co.,ltd – This is the actual manufacturer of the zenPad nice unit, hoping someone else is going to start selling it. Hasn't appeared on "fleabay" yet unfortunately…
- DealExtreme: $274.00 SmartQ V7 7.0" Touchscreen Windows CE 6.0/Linux/Android MID Internet Tablet (600MHz CPU/WiFi/2GB) – Nice Adroid/Linux/WinCE Tablet – unfortunately no GPS or 3G
- :: EPE Chat Zone :: Radio Bygones Message Board ::: Car 'Speed' Signal – Where – Discussion on how to get the car speed via the CAN-Bus
- PCAN-USB CAN-to-USB Interface – USB CAN-Bus Interface
- 500 Internal Server Error – 500 Internal Server Error
These are my links for March 25th from 10:12 to 17:31:
- YouTube – Content-Aware Fill Sneak Peek – Sneak peak at some of the new features in the new version of Photoshop, very cool.
- Official Google Blog: Collaborative bookmarking with lists – Should look into this, perhaps as a replacement to Delicious? Not sure?
- Easy Automated Snapshot-Style Backups with Rsync – Must look at trying to implement this or something similar to this between my various machines.
- Dennis Forbes on Software and Technology – The Impact of SSDs on Database Performance and the Performance Paradox of Data Explodification – Interesting article, not sure how useful it is but does highlight a few things about how to speed up SQL which could come in handy.
- Microcontrollers and Electronics Project Blog – Blog about electronics and microcontrollers, has a nice article on how to use a comparator that needs some further reading and studying.
- Sieg SX2 Mini Mill – I would love one of these little mini-mills. I wonder if something like this is available in South Africa? and I wonder how much it'll cost?
- Engineer Thinking » Matt Legend Gemmell – Good article about how we should be striving to make GUI's (and I guess by extension software) easier to use.
- Enso-now.com – Revolutionary devices based on Google Android and open source software – This is kinda like the iPad but it runs Android… I'm rather interested in getting my hands on one of these, just need to find $200 (+/-)
- Art of the Steal: On the Trail of World’s Most Ingenious Thief | Magazine – Awesome article about a master thief, I love these kinds of stories.
- Cardboard Record Sleeve Doubles as Record Player – Cardboard record player – Gizmodo – I really love this idea.
- Nivo Slider – The Most Awesome jQuery Image Slider – Awesome jQuery Image Slider found via Reddit going to have to see how I can incorporate it into my site.